Tuesday 15 September 2009

1440 liter / 380 gallon Central America tank



After having had a great time aquascaping and maintaining smaller tanks, I acquired my first Big Tank in 2006.
The Tank measured 250x80x70cm which is approximately 98.4x31.5x27.6 inches. The thickness of the glass was 12mm = .47 inch.

 
This tank obviously needed some lights and a pump, so I added 2x 70 Watts HQI, and a Ocean Runner 3500. Then I went out to collect rocks, and wood. For the final touch I added Microsorium pteropus.
 

These videos might give you an even better impression:

And a second one I made a year later:

Hope you enjoy the pics and the movies!

2 comments:

  1. my friend is a wonderfull tank, and I wish make a question about the glass that you used, is normal glass? or it is templed glass??

    Fher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fher, the glass used is normal 12mm glass. In the 981 gallon tank I used 19mm glass. This is more then sufficient, but with small kids in the house I don't want to take risks. Even better is layered glass with 19mm+6mm or 15mm+9mm: if tue outer layer is damaged, the tank won't burst. This is user e.g. in Schiphol airport, as many people are passing by. Hope this helps, otherwise let me know. Tom

    ReplyDelete